Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Blogging and Teaching

Funny how I've always though of dance as a way to get kids up and out of their desks, off the computer, and moving, yet now I'm in a class to teach my how to incorporate technology into my dance education techniques. Lol. Yet I do see some good out of it. First of all, finding videos of dances on youtube is a constant assignment I have and could benefit my future students. Putting those videos onto my blog would make it a lot easier for them to find exactly what I want them to view. In addition, I can keep parents updated on assignments without destroying a million trees and using up unnecessary ink. So as an environmental tool, blogging is great! I could also post assigned readings on my blog so that the students can read there instead of printing those out as well.

RSS feeds are also useful for me as an educator. To stay current on what the dance world is doing, I can subscribe to several dance blogs and websites instead of having to re-find them all and check them. I like google reader for this, but I still feel like it is a different experience to go and visit the actual website, and I don't like to give that up. However, a couple good feeds I subscribed to are:

www.dancetheaterworkshop.org/blog
www.dancingperfectlyfree.com

I think that a blog could also be incredibly useful for fellow educators who want to add dance to their curriculum. I could post lesson plans for all to see and share, so that someone who stumbled across my blog from New York or Florida could try adding dance to their curriculum.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you are on your way! I hope that you continue to find RSS feeds helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the videos you've posted! How fun!! I also think your blog is DARLING!!

    ReplyDelete